Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Data collection procedures

Obviously, I’m working on Case Study approach in which participants should be involove in a program: SIOP or CLIL. Regarding the data collection circle, I should start from "Locating stie / individual" in my data collection procedure.

☞ First, my data collection site would be my workplace, although it can raise issues of power imbalance between me as a research and my students as participants. At least, I’m not their homeroom teacher, who is mostly taking care of them and has more authority. And the case would be class 5, who consented to be involved in my project the most by over 60%.
☞ I don’t believe that I have any problem to gaining access and making rapport, which I already have. But still I should get formal access with consent form provided on p.123.

- The right of participants to voluntarily withdraw from the study at any time
(not seems to be included – Is it ok?)
- the central purpose of the study and the procedures to be used in data collection
- comments about protecting the confidentiality of the respondents
- a statement about known risks associated with participation in the study
- the expected benefits to accrue to the participants in the study.
- the signature of the participant as well as the researcher

I already met gatekeeper, the homeroom teacher, and explained the purpose and brief plan.

☞ For sampling, my plan is below.
event : SIOP or CLIL with science
setting : 30 students in mixed level
actors : class 5 students
artifacts : improved positive attitude and confidence in both subjects
              Improved test score in both subjects.
Site level : in both language room and classroom
Process level: teaching science in English by 10 min in both English and science classes
participants level : mixed level in English and science ( Should check the diagnosis test result)

How to use the sampling strategies? Am I using any?

☞ As forms of data, I should address interview, observation, audiovisual materials
     (does it mean by teaching materials?), journaling (actually making comments online)like daily log, solving quizzes, photo elicitation on certain topic.

The bold types are my questions…

1 comment:

  1. Hi Chanmi, how are you doing? That is an interesting study that you are conducting. You have done well to organize it and begin to get everyone's consent. I hope the study goes well. Cheers, Chad

    ReplyDelete