Friday, March 19, 2010

For now...

I surveyed my students about CLIL (becoming to SEIL: Science and English Integrated Learning).

Unexpectedly, many students, I mean, more than my assumption, didn't want clil education.
Four classes out of five agreed to SEIL by over 50 percent. However, I should consider the other percent, too.
If I should choose one class for the case, I could choose class 5, which agreed to SEIL by 63%, though. In addition, the main reason the "No" people wrote was potential difficulty.

The next step is now for me!! I should elicit science contents from the curriculum which could easily match with English curriculum. And I also should take a look and experience SEIL prior to my students.
Fortunately, my co-teacher, native speaker will help me learn and check the science contents.

Am I going well? Am I missing anything? Is there any problem? Is it allowed? haha... SIGH...

1 comment:

  1. Well, it is actually great data to have . . . it does not mean that you should not do the study, but I think you are taking it in the right way to be care abotu the students concerns and inturn to be very careful and explicit about what you are doing and to listen to any worries, or fears that they have during the course of the study.

    Most important, when you finish the study, you can redo the survey with the SEIL classes about how their attitude toward SEIL changed (or perhaps even all of the classes even if they did not take the SEIL classes--because they have talked with the SEIL students).

    great start!

    -eric

    ReplyDelete